Step-by-step guide to get started with SPF Pro
Since SPF Pro is an intelligent easy-to-use, non-technical users friendly, and fully automatic mobile device extraction solution, you will learn and grasp the basics in just a few minutes when you practice the same in the meanwhile.
When you’re ready to implement the mobile forensics process, make sure the below essentials have been under consideration.
- Mobile device screen unlocked
- USB debugging enabled(for Android)
- Itunes installed & PC trusted (for IOS)
- Stable device connection
Then, it’s time for collecting digital evidentiary data from a mobile device.
Step 1: Choose the targeted device to begin mobile forensic extraction
let’s choose this OPPO smartphone for the demonstration.
We have three options here.
- Option 1: The graphical phone which is a physical mobile device that has connected to the PC (When there is more than one phone connected, more graphical phones will be shown up )
- Option 2: File Analysis means specific existing digital evidentiary data to be analyzed (solely or additionally)
- Option 3: Folder Analysis means the existing digital evidentiary data folder (which is also named image files ) selects the data backup folder as the target
e.g.: an image file(imaging) is normally indicating a complete backup (action) of a digital device by using their official backup assistant.
Step 2: Select automatic logical extraction
Select “Automatic Logical Extraction” when all shown information have been gone through by you and nothing stops you.
Quick tips: Automatic logic extraction is the most viable and intelligent extraction solution, which allows the software to automatically attempt utilizing the most possible way to extract successfully.
When we’ve selected the targeted physical phone or other extraction options in the last step, we’re supposed to be seeing corresponding technical information here.
- Device: the name of the device
- Model: the model of the device
- System: The device operation system
- IMFI: An IMEI stands for International Mobile Equipment Identity
- Serial No: A serial number is a unique number assigned by a phone manufacturer (e.g. Apple) to help identify an individual device
- Access: Root or unroot, which means the technical privilege access of a digital device
Step 3: Select the targeted data
Now select your targeted information for extraction.
When choosing the targeted data which is potentially containing case-relevant information, some misunderstandings and correct concepts about digital forensics are worth being known for any of your further steps from now on, since it’s going to correct your awareness to align your expectation of the forensic result.
When choosing targeted data, some basic Info of the device holders including age, geo, gender, transaction, geo footprint, social relations and time-based actions, etc are supposed to be under consideration.
Step 4: Start the data extraction process
After selecting the targeted data, it’s time for the actual extraction process.
By clicking “start extraction”, the extraction will be carried out immediately.
(Normally, it’ll take 5-10 minutes and up to minutes which is based on the targeted forensic devices‘ data usage )
Step 5: Check out and preliminarily analyze the distracting data
When the data extraction process has finished, you’re supposed to be able to review the distracting data and analyze them to draw your conclusion specifically.
- Click on the left navigation panel to switch between data categories and review the acquired data displayed on the right side of the window.
- By preliminarily analyzing your acquired data, you’re going to clean up your mind for potential clues and unexpected likelihoods, mark down what first comes to your mind and it’ll help the big picture to be drawn down afterward.
- Meanwhile, when reviewing the data, using filters to help you quickly locate certain data is also recommended.
- Date Period
- Data status
- Certain Apps